Maria Vorrias is the owner and director of the Athens Pilates Studio in Athens, Greece since 1995.
Maria has been teaching the authentic Pilates method in the USA and in Europe since 1992. She holds a BFA degree in Fine Arts for Dance and Choreography from the Purchase College State University of New York.
It was at SUNY Purchase where she was trained and certified with Pilates Inc. under the instruction of Romana Kryzanowsksa. Then, during the years 1992-1995 Maria assisted as a body model for teacher training courses that took place at SUNY Purchase.
After moving to Greece in 1995, Maria continued her CPE training in the USA and in Europe. She regularly attended workshops and Conferences, and in several occasions assisted in Romana’s Teacher Training courses for new teachers in France, Holland, Italy, New York and Texas.
Maria Vorrias, as a level 4 Teacher Trainer for Romana’s Pilates, has assisted many apprentices to go through Romana’s Pilates training program over the years. In 2017, she began training apprentices in Greece for The New York Pilates Studio and in 2019 began hosting The New York Pilates Studio Teacher Training Program at her studio in Athens.
Maria has continued to further her studies with the Pilates method in workshops around the world with Juanita Lopez, Sari Mejia Santo, Kathy Ross Nash, Jay Grimes, Lori Coleman Brown, Pam Pardi, Philippe Taupin, Junghee Won, Jerome Weinbergh, Sean Gallagher, Javier Perez Pont, Anthony Rabara, Marjorie Oron and Cynthia Lochard.
Maria, through her many years of experience and her love for movement, body mechanics, aesthetics, and continuous study of the functions of the human body, has developed a keen eye when teaching the Pilates method that enables her to help others live a happier life.
April 2019 Historic Jacob’s Pillow dance center
- Teaching the original Joseph Pilates, Return to Life mat at a weekend workshop for Pilates instructors.
May 2019 Tel Aviv
Teaching three workshops for Pilates instructors:
- The advanced reformer
- The Pilates chairs
- The specific needs of the body
- 1992-1994 – Certification and Teacher Training at The Pilates Studio of New York under the guidance of Romana Kryzanowska.
- 1995 – BFA Bachelor of Fine Arts in Dance and Choreography, Purchase College State University of New York
- 1989 – 1991 – Alvin Ailey American Dance Center in New York,
- 2 Year Certificate Program
- 1988 – 1989 – Joffrey Ballet School, New York
- 1979 – 1988 – Professional Dance School for classical and modern dance of Anna Petrova in collaboration with the Royal Academy of Dance in England.
- Other educational skills through workshops or training: Anatomy and Physiology, Release Technique, Alexander Technique, Body-Mind Centering, Ideokinesis, Kinetic Awareness, Tai Chi.
- Ability to combine the use of musicality, rhythm, dynamics and movement
- Use of imagery, philosophy, and psychology as part of teaching tools
- Ability to teach private or large Pilates class formats and adaptability according to need
- Strong interpersonal communication skills, and transmissibility
- Patience, persistence, passion, and positive attitude in teaching
- Love for the arts, nature, Pilates, movement, traveling, and quality of life
- Languages Greek and English (bilingual), French and Italian (semi-fluent)