Pilates Workshop With Sean P. Gallagher
To gain a better understanding of how to teach the body in front of you, you must first understand the body.
In this full-day workshop, Sean Gallagher helped all participants to acquire a fuller understanding of the human body, including the natural laws that govern what we can or cannot change through the work of J. Pilates or other exercises. It is a number of mini-workshops in one.
Understanding And Teaching The Body
In Front Of You
This Pilates Workshop took place on Friday, 15th November, from 10:00 – 17:00. It was powered by By Sean P. Gallagher, BFA, PT, CFP, CPT, MS and hosted by Maria Vorrias at Athens Pilates Studio, Adramytiou 31, Nea Smyrni. All participants received a certificate of participation and a relevant workshop booklet.
Sean guided all participants through the journey of understanding imbalances in the skeleton from the “Powerhouse” to the feet, and what modifications are possible. He explained that not all imbalances can be fixed, but you can work with them by adjusting your Pilates practice in a way that still promotes overall symmetry and removes strain.
Most accommodation from imbalances occurs in the feet and hips, therefore placing much of the strain in the knees. By analyzing the anatomy of the lower extremities in relation to the skeleton, Sean explains how proper footwork can set the entire body back into optimal alignment and strengthen it symmetrically without the need for any accommodation that generally increases muscular imbalances.
Pilates Workshop Goals
Sean Gallagher shared his knowledge on determining the exact anatomy of your client’s imbalances and what adjustments need to be made accordingly. With his help, attendees attained a new level of appreciation and respect for the Footwork series and understand why we know it as “the foundation of Pilates”.
The attendees gain valuable information and practice:
- How Genetics and Development are integral to understanding some of the foundations of J. Pilates’ system of body conditioning.
- Explore the developmental patterns found in the mat and in every apparatus that comes from J.Pilates’ understanding of organic movement. These patterns make his methodology unique in the exercise world, differentiating it from other methods such as bodybuilding.
- Look at the dynamic spine and how it changes over a functional life span both with and without Pilates. Compensation will also be addressed in relation to the skeleton and posture and Dynatonic™ muscle Balance, scoliosis, and synergy patterns of movement as integrated into J.Pilates’ workouts.
- Learn how the apparatus as J. Pilates invented them provides a progression from open to closed chain kinetics (basic physics) and everything in between. J.Pilates was using this type of movement before there was a science to give it a name.
- Learn about dynamic muscle action and cortical and subcortical control.
The last part of this workshop got into the powerhouse into the lower and upper extremities. And everyone learned to use what you explored in the first part of the workshop to appreciate what changes can or cannot be attained through Contrology.
Common body anomalies of the bones were discussed, as well as how to modify exercises on the apparatus when such anomalies are present. The participants were equipped with advanced skills in order to provide the best balance for each client.
Upcoming Pilates Workshops
For all our friends who wish to attend our upcoming Pilates Workshops in 2020 & 2021, now they can fill in this pre-registration form.
Photo credits: Patroklos Stellakis www.stellakispatroklos.com